Tourist: Do I need an international driving license in Mauritius ?
Tourists visiting the island are allowed to drive with their domestic licence for up to 4 weeks.
It doesn’t matter if you’re from France, Belgium, Germany, South-Africa, United Kingdom, Australia etc, you will be able to drive throughout Mauritius during your holiday by using your own driving licence. If you intend to stay for a period longer than four weeks, you need to have either an International Driving Permit (issued in your home country) or apply for an extension with the Mauritian authorities (Mauritius Police Force, Traffic Branch, Line Barracks – Google Maps).
Geneva Road Traffic Convention of 1949
Mauritius recognizes the Geneva Road Traffic Convention of 1949 and the law stipulates: “Any person holding a valid International Driving Permit or Driving Licence issued by a competent foreign authority shall not be required to pass a test. Any such permit or licence shall entitle the holder thereof to drive within the State of Mauritius any vehicle of the types specified thereon.” (Sections 57 and 59 of Road Traffic Regulations 1954).
- Cars drive on the left hand side and the priority is for vehicles coming from the right;
- All road sign posts are of international standards;
- You are most likely to encounter heavy traffic during peak hours: 07:30 am – 09:30 am, and 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm. During these times there is heavy traffic mainly in Port-Louis area and at the entrances/exits of the main cities;
- Mauritius now has zero tolerance for drinking and driving. If you are caught driving under the influence of alcohol, you will pay a significant fine and may be held in police custody until you are completely sober.
- It is strictly illegal to use a hand held mobile phone when driving;
- Wearing seat belts is mandatory at any given time for all car passengers;
- In a police check, they often ask for your car rental contract in addition to your driver’s licence;
- There are no road tolls in Mauritius;
Renting a car in Mauritius gives you the chance to explore everything the island has to offer and will make your holiday more pleasant.
Best Car Rental in Mauritius at low prices
Started in 2009, Le Low Cost Hire Ltd is specialised in Car Rental service in Mauritius. Whether it is short term or long term car rental mauritius, we have a wide range of cars at very affordable prices, from Economic to luxury cars.
We are located near the Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam International Airport and our aim is to do our best to bring you a smooth, hassle-free experience from start to finish by providing 24/7 support throughout your stay.